Trumpet/besson class A new creation trumpet

joe H wrote at 2011-04-23 06:22:21
Frankie, Down under things may be in reverse of things here in the states.  A shift toward A=440, which is denoted as lp /low pitch has been the standard for over half a century, with most instrument companies beginning that conversion by adding extra slides, and dual model horn adjusters for over a century.  It is true that Great Britain held on to hp high pitch longer, but by the time Boosey and Hawkes were the builders lp, not hp was 'the pitch horn. You are 100% correct in stating that the Class A New Creation was a very fine horn...both the cornet and trumpet which were first designed in the early 1900's.

As to the price of a mouthpiece, here in the states you will be able to purchase a very fine mouthpiece for your needs, say a Bach 7C to start, for under $20.00 on eBay.

i agree to having the horn serviced, which includes an internal cleansing, new felts and corks (simple valve alignment) and water valve pads.

Ten dollars? Lucky you.  For the additional 40-50 dollar investment to make it a top player that it can be is a small amount for what you get back.  As to getting the cosmetics done, unless you have a dent in the lead pipe or a constriction elsewhere...I suggest that you save your money for now and simply play until and unless you find the brass man that you KNOW will do a fine job of body repairs...and then only for vanity or sales purposes. A horn that 'shows ' repairs is worth less than an original condition one.        G.W.G. ,    Joe

Daniel Fitzgibbons wrote at 2011-08-18 11:21:37
Hi. Yesterday I paid 160 for a Besson New Creation LP trumpet serial 134588. It is in virtually perfect condition. I think it has been repaired and lacquered recently. I'm told the year is 1948 so it is remarkably good for such an old instrument.

Steve Uttley wrote at 2014-05-19 11:04:35
Instruments today are made in low pitch he has the right horn.  Some earlier Besson trumpets (and most of the cornets) were in high pitch and will need converting to low pitch (A = 440 cycles) if they are to be played in a band. Anyone purchasing a pre 1960s horn, particularly one made in England, needs to check whether the horn is high (stamped HP) or low (stamped LP)pitch.  A lot of high pitch instruments were subjected to conversion (of varying quality) in the late 50s early 60s. Additional sleeves added to the slides are a clue here.  

To return to the original question the New Creation trumpet was top of the London Besson range; their professional horn.  As you will know the French Bessons are highly sought after and now fetch ridiculous second hand prices.  so much so that they are now close to the price of some new professional horns. The London Bessons are (currently) much cheaper.  I haven't played one but some players reckon that they are as good as the French ones.  If so keep your eyes open for New Creation before their prices also start to climb upwards.

Trumpet

Frankie Bull (Mr.)