Trumpet/The Burbank Trumpet

Chuck wrote at 2014-08-13 00:24:52
Since this question was asked and answered almost four years ago, this response may only be useful to others researching these horns. The horn described likely wasn't an old horn, certainly not a Burbank Benge which were manufactured in the 1940s and early '50s by Eldon Benge. This horn is likely a replica of those earlier fine instruments, The Burbank Trumpet, which was built by Donald Benge (son of Eldon) and Zig Kanstul in the late-1980s and early '90s. Stamped on each bell, in addition to "The Burbank Trumpet" was the bell model number (2, 3, 5, 6) inside (and sometimes above) a star. Some large bore (.464) models also had a plus (+) stamped after the bell number (2+, 3+). They are known as "2 star", "3+ star", and so on.

The lower case "b" described on this horn may have been mistaken by the owner for a "6". If so, the horn may have been a "6 star" or possibly a "Claude Gordon" model, which also had a thinner, more resonant #6 bell.

The Burbank Trumpet brand is still being built by Zig Kanstul in the same factory where his company produces all of their other Kanstul-branded horns. As of this date, The Horntrader ( is the exclusive dealer.

Frankie Bull (Mr.)

Almost anything to do with trumpets.

I have been playing trumpet for over 50 years and teaching for the last 20. I own a Bach Mercedes and a Jupiter pocket trumpet. I also have very good connections in the retail industry, particularly with Largo trumpets. I also play trombone, keyboards, alto and tenor sax.

Professional Diploma in Music. Level Nine - Multi-instrumentalist Level Eight - Piano (The above qualifications are ewith the Australian Guild of Music)

Currently teaching as a private tutor in a number of schools within the Fleurieu Peninsula of South Australia. This year I have students doing A.M.E.B. Grade four