My daughter is a Sophmore in High School and has been playing a beginners trumpet for several years now.  I'm interested in getting her the next step up which from what I have been reading is a Professional Bach or Yamaha.  Can you recommend a certain model that would be better.  Her teacher also has her playing the French Horn and a piccolo.

Amy, The short and simple answer is that she should get the horn that plays, and sounds, best for her. There is a big difference in the models and options for both the makers you mention. She needs to consider what her playing habits will be in college. Then match a horn to her future playing style.

I can't see a teacher spreading her out on different instruments and expecting her to excel on all of them. Is trumpet her first love, or does she share equally on all three? The best suggestion I have for you is to take her to a good music store where she can try several different models and makers.

Personally, I also like the Getzen Custom and pro lines, the Kanstul pro models, and a few other makers that many stores do not carry in stock. So there are many more choices than just Yamaha and Bach.  

Mike Pawul

I am familiar with most trumpets, cornets, and flugelhorns. I can answer most questions about playing and musicality. Best of all, if I can't answer it directly I play regularly in several bands and have many "old timers" that are familiar with most things that I am not. I collect, repair, and refinish old and new horns and have sold over 1700 with more than 900 on ebay

I have played since 1965 and studied with many directors and trumpeters. I have been collecting since 2002 and have over 150 horns in my personal collection. I have done repair and refinsh since 2003 and have done work on over 2500 horns.

Kosair Shrine Brass Band and Dance Band, The Notables, The New Tones, Bourbon City Brass Band, River Cities Concert Band, Derby City Brass Band, University of Louisville Community Band, Member of Trumpet Players International Network (TPIN), Bugles Across America (BAA), Member of the National Association of Professional Band Instrument Repair Technicians (NAPBIRT)

I played at Brunswick High School. I played through college and have a BS in Business Administration from Trinity College. Of course, I am still learning from all my friends that play and work on trumpets around the world.

Without being vain, numerous awards and have played in several honor bands.