Trumpet/My trumpet won't make a sound!

The other day, I was playing my trumpet and I set it down for a second in my lap while I was looking up some sheet music. Then, when I tried to play it, it would not make a sound. I've tried everything. All of my valves are in the right place and it seems to be clear of anything blocking the airways. I cannot think of anything that would have caused it to just stop while i was still holding it. Also, the mouthpiece is stuck. It has been stuck longer than the instrument has been broken, but could that have anything to  do with it? I know you are not an expert on repairs, but do you have any ideas as to what it is? Thanks. By the way, it is alright if you don't know because we have a great music and repair shop in town.

Definitely take it to the repair shop. It's possible that something was stuck inside and got dislodged. Sometimes small creatures crawl inside... and you don't want to know any more. Let the shop take care of it.

Also could be a bad water key cork, a piece might have fallen out.

Thomas Krueger

I can answer your questions about Buescher trumpets and cornets. I have been playing Buescher for 35 years and collecting for 7.

I first started playing my grandfather's Buescher 400 trumpet in 1975. Since then I have done a lot of research, including original catalogs and advertisements that I own, correspondence with other Buescher owners, and obtaining my own Buescher collection, including six trumpets and three cornets.

I am a technical writer with 15 years experience. I have also been playing trumpet since 1975 and collecting Buescher for the past 7 years.