Trumpet/coronet?/ trumpet

Question
Hello.  I bought what I think is a coronet at a garage sale last summer, at my 9 year old daughter's request.  I am just curious as to the year said instrument was made, its value, etc.  Also if it is silver-plated or what.  We hung it in her room.  I will encourage any interest in music she has.  Serial number is 117380  GRAND RAPIDS  MADE IN U.S.A. Written on top of horn.  Thank you for any historical info. you may have for us.  Your time is greatly appreciated..          Autumn J. Fletcher,  Minnesota

Answer
Not much is known about these, so I can't tell you much, but Grand Rapids instruments are thought to be a value-priced line from the York company (which has no relation to modern York instruments). Cornets in general are not played much any more. If it looks silver, then it is silver plated, common for instruments before about 1930, when lacquer began to be popular.

Value is not high. Depending on condition, it might sell for $100, or probably less. As there is no serial number list available, the best I can do, based on viewing a similar instrument with a similar serial number, would be to say it was made sometime in the 1920s, probably earlier than later.

Trumpet

Thomas Krueger