Trumpet/Marceau Trumpet

Question
Marceau
Marceau  
Marceau
Marceau  
QUESTION: Hi
I also have Trumpet marked Marceau on the bell part all the peices are attached nothing missing or broken does have a few dings on it but I think this is made of Copper or it is brass? its tarnished and could use cleaning how do I clean this ?
Thank you
Tammy

ANSWER: Tammy, It is a bass trumpet and is made of brass. Sears used the Marceau name for their import horns in the early 1900's. To clean it I would take some hot water and Joy dish soap and soak it for at least 30 minutes. Hopefully that will loosen up your stuck valves and possibly slides. Then take the horn apart and do it again to loosen the crud that might be in the horn. Use a tube snake brush (from a  music store) and scrub out all the tubes and valve casings. Most likely it needs new felts and corks to play correctly. Those would have to be purchased from a music store. Of course, you could just take it to a music store and have them do a clean and play test for you.

QUESTION: Hi Mike,
any idea on the value of this ? or how much to have a music store clean and restore just not sure how much $ to put into this if its not worth it
thanks again
Tammy

Answer
It is worth more as a collector horn than a player. But a collector would want to make sure it was playable. You could have this cleaned and put into playing shape for about $100. As far as value, it is pretty rare and a collector would probably pay a few hundred for it.  

Trumpet

Mike Pawul