Trumpet/Henri Selmer Grand Prix

Question
Hi Mike,

Thanks to your previous responses, I've determined that my family heirloom trumpet is a Selmer Grand Prix. It's serial number is 1919 and the valve #s are 12-11-10. What can you garner from this information?

Also, is there any danger in doing a chemical cleaning for a trumpet?

Thanks,
Scott

Answer
Scott, There is really no danger in doing a chem clean as long as they don't soak it too long. The Grand Prix was the standard pro model from Selmer before the K-Mod. Selmer made their valves in batches of 99 so your horn is the fourth horn in that batch. Your horn dates to 1937 and at that time they were well constructed. In good shape they are worth somewhere in the $400-700 range, depending on the finish wear and valve wear.

Trumpet

Mike Pawul