Trumpet/Henri Selmer trumpets

Are Henri Selmer trumpets quality made and good instruments, the Model 66 in particular?

You ask a good question and one that is very difficult to answer as there seems to be little information on that model.

In general, any instrument from Henri Selmer that is marked "Made in France" (or, I suppose, Fabrique en Francais) is going to be a good quality instrument.

That said, it only addresses manufacturing quality when the trumpet is new. From the time it was made until you acquired it, many many things, some of them not so good, may have happened. The valves may be worn and leak. The slide tubes may be worn and leak. Someone might have modified it from its original design in ways you might not like.

The short answer is, "it wasn't crap when it was sold" but you must also evaluate condition and whether its design philosophy agrees with the way you like to play and the mouthpiece you use.

If you're thinking of buying one, play it. If you like it, you'll know what to do.

I hope this lack of definitive answer helps you.

Thomas Krueger

I can answer your questions about Buescher trumpets and cornets. I have been playing Buescher for 35 years and collecting for 7.

I first started playing my grandfather's Buescher 400 trumpet in 1975. Since then I have done a lot of research, including original catalogs and advertisements that I own, correspondence with other Buescher owners, and obtaining my own Buescher collection, including six trumpets and three cornets.

I am a technical writer with 15 years experience. I have also been playing trumpet since 1975 and collecting Buescher for the past 7 years.