Trumpet/inexperienced; found a trumpet

Question
Hi, I've never used a musical band instrument before, and my friend and I were wondering around in the woods, and we found one just laying on the ground. We were confused on why it was there and I said I would try to figure it out when I got home. I looked at some other trumpets and this one is really bad looking. I don't know what happened to it, but the slides are a blackish color, and all the brass stuff on the outside is corroded and disgusting looking. Is there anyway I can make it look better? Or any store that won't charge me the $350 that Buddy Rogers said it would cost?

Answer
Nick, To answer you properly I need to see the horn. But if it was sitting outside on the ground it will have several issues that would need some hard work to correct. Most likely, if it has been outside for a long period, the entire horn would need to be taken apart and cleaned in a heavy solution before it could be polished. Then you would have to determine if the valves are still good enough to use. So the short answer is, no there is no easier way to fix it. You could take the valves out and try to put the horn in hot water and simple green to clean it up a bit. That might help you to decide if it is even fixable. Plus the brand would help to decide. If it is an import horn, or no name model, it wouldn't really be worth the money to fix it.

Trumpet

Mike Pawul