Trumpet/quality of a new pocket trumpet

Question
Long and short I recently purchased a Mendini by Cecilio pocket trumpet for my son.  Not being the trumpet player, I knew nothing when purchasing it.  Not trying to hurt my feelings, my son stated that it wasn't the best brand, but he tried it and it had good sound.  My question is, how can you tell if you have a good trumpet or not?  He did state that one of the valves is sticking and he can't open the other two (will be taking it to a repairman to get them open.)  I wish I could say that $$$ is no object and I'm probably getting what I paid for, but is there any hope I got a somewhat decent one?  Should there be anything I should look for or ask the repairman when I bring it in?

Answer
Mom,

Great question. You're so nice to help out your son and he sounds like a good kid.

I'd do some google searching for your brand. If it's a newer brand, you might have trouble because so many horns come straight out if China now and they are temporary horns at best and very difficult to repair.

I'm not sure what you paid for the horn, but remember that a used good and well made instrument is better than brand new "junk" any day.

When you take it for repair, ask the same questions you asked here but with your research online you should have a greater understanding.  

Trumpet

Gene Ramsay