Trumpet/Replacement Instrument

I am a 68 year old come back player with my 1956 German made Alexandre trumpet, copied from the Martin Committee, which leaks at the tuning slide.  I am looking at a 1938-39 Reynolds Professional horn and a King Legend horn to replace my Alexandre.  I am looking for your advise on which is the better of the two horns.  I plan to play both before I make a final decision.  BTW, thank you for the advice on flexibility exercises and long tones, as they have helped to bring the chops back into shape after a very long time.

Gordon, Sorry for the delay in answering but the question showed I answered it already and I didn't review it until today. I like both of the horns you mention. Of the two the Reynolds will be a heavier wall model with more core sound. But the Legend incorporated a lot of the old King features that Foster Reynolds helped to design when he worked at H N White. I think that the Legend will be easier to find in good shape since it is a much more recent model. I think when you play both you will find a similar playing feel with them. It really boils down to which one you are more comfortable playing but you wouldn't go wrong with either one.  

Mike Pawul

I am familiar with most trumpets, cornets, and flugelhorns. I can answer most questions about playing and musicality. Best of all, if I can't answer it directly I play regularly in several bands and have many "old timers" that are familiar with most things that I am not. I collect, repair, and refinish old and new horns and have sold over 1700 with more than 900 on ebay

I have played since 1965 and studied with many directors and trumpeters. I have been collecting since 2002 and have over 150 horns in my personal collection. I have done repair and refinsh since 2003 and have done work on over 2500 horns.

Kosair Shrine Brass Band and Dance Band, The Notables, The New Tones, Bourbon City Brass Band, River Cities Concert Band, Derby City Brass Band, University of Louisville Community Band, Member of Trumpet Players International Network (TPIN), Bugles Across America (BAA), Member of the National Association of Professional Band Instrument Repair Technicians (NAPBIRT)

I played at Brunswick High School. I played through college and have a BS in Business Administration from Trinity College. Of course, I am still learning from all my friends that play and work on trumpets around the world.

Without being vain, numerous awards and have played in several honor bands.