Trumpet/Silver tone trumpet.

Question
I picked up a silvertone cornet at a thrift store today. Never heard of it before. On the bell it says silvertone and under it it says made in Elkhart-ind. Has a serial number on the 2nd valve of 168756. Also seems to have a serial number in the 3rd valve slide that is faint of maybe 267.25069. Seems that the first valve is about a 1/16 of an inch higher than the 2nd and 3rd. Only silv on the cornet is where the mouthpiece goes in, valve covers, and spit valves. Any information/value on this cornet would be appreciated.

Answer
Andrew, The Silvertone name was used by King and Sears. King used it early but lost a lawsuit to keep the name and from the late 1940's Sears used it. The horn you have was made by E K Blessing in Elkhart Indiana for Sears. The serial number dates it to 1969. They were solid made horns that were close to the Scholastic line at that time. The valves need to have the corks and felts changed to align them in the horn. It is a solid built student horn that is worth between $75-150 depending on the wear to the horn and valves.

Trumpet

Mike Pawul