Trumpet/Trumpet Purchase

David wrote at 2016-05-16 21:07:31
I erroneously bought on of these not long ago thinking it might be a King Silvertone( a vintage horn)-which is inscribed in the finish. (The brass lacquer must be called Symphony-the silver plate  Silvertone.) However, I was pleasantly surprised.  It does not feel cheap and seems to have been patterned after a more expensive horn. The student played it for 3 years in middle school and it performed well, not giving the student any major problems.  The valves move smoothly and the weight of the horn  feels like a made in America upper beginner, lower intermediate horn.  

I agree with the response above for most import horns.  However, there are some  good imports out there.  It is important to try them out  and check for reviews online such as the query here to keep people from buying "the lemons".  I'm a retired band director and bought this to resell.  I'm not going to ask a lot for it-but at the same time it seems like a quality horn.  The sound is nice and clear and not stuffy.  I would just say-buyer, beware!!

Gene Ramsay

PLEASE read my instructions to you as a questioner about horns and value, etc. Most of those answers can be found at

I feel confident to answer all questions regarding trumpet and brass performing, practice techniques, and equipment inquiries. We never stop being "students" in music as we strive to grow technically and musically over our lifetime. Music is something that truly individualizes people and I would treat every question based on the individual asking the question.

I have been performing on trumpet for over 30 years. I have taught privately for over 20 years and in the public schools for 5 years. I have taught and performed in drum and bugle corps, bands, ensembles, and solo.

Bugles Across America
International Trumpet Guild
VHHS Alumni Band
University of Montevallo Music Alumni
Madison Scouts Booster Organization

Drum Corps World

Bachelor's Degree from the University of Montevallo in Music Education.
Over 20 years of private instruction (various individuals).
5 years of instructing and performing in drum and bugle corps.

Alabama Assistant State Director for Bugles Across America - 2009-2010
Alabama State Director for Bugles Across America - 2010-Present
University of Montevallo Student MENC President - 1991-1992
Principal Trumpet - University of Montevallo - 1990-1992
Nuncie Leberte Music Scholarship - 1987-1988

Vestavia Hills High School
University of Montevallo
Southwind Drum and Bugle Corps
CorpsVets Drum and Bugle Corps