Trumpet/3rd valve slide

We are getting ready to purchase a new trumpet for our daughter who is quite tiny.  It was recommended that we get an adjustable 3rd valve slide ring to accommodate the small size of her hands.  I've been doing a lot of looking and it is very confusing to me!  I did find something called a "trigger on the 3rd valve w/ waterkey", this was a customization on a Bach 180S37 trumpet.  I am unsure if this is what we need but it looks like it could be.  Any ideas?  Thank you

Becky, The question is why does a new trumpet not have a ring? There are two types of third slide rings. The first is a ring that is soldered to the slide and will not move. Several of the pro models use these like the Bach Strad. The other type has a rod attached to the ring that goes into a holder (sometimes called a lyre holder)and uses a screw to tighten it down. You can move the ring close or farther away from the valve casing. That is called an adjustable ring and would benefit her by moving it closer to the casing. Any music repair person can add either to a horn or change them out to the other type.  

Mike Pawul

I am familiar with most trumpets, cornets, and flugelhorns. I can answer most questions about playing and musicality. Best of all, if I can't answer it directly I play regularly in several bands and have many "old timers" that are familiar with most things that I am not. I collect, repair, and refinish old and new horns and have sold over 1700 with more than 900 on ebay

I have played since 1965 and studied with many directors and trumpeters. I have been collecting since 2002 and have over 150 horns in my personal collection. I have done repair and refinsh since 2003 and have done work on over 2500 horns.

Kosair Shrine Brass Band and Dance Band, The Notables, The New Tones, Bourbon City Brass Band, River Cities Concert Band, Derby City Brass Band, University of Louisville Community Band, Member of Trumpet Players International Network (TPIN), Bugles Across America (BAA), Member of the National Association of Professional Band Instrument Repair Technicians (NAPBIRT)

I played at Brunswick High School. I played through college and have a BS in Business Administration from Trinity College. Of course, I am still learning from all my friends that play and work on trumpets around the world.

Without being vain, numerous awards and have played in several honor bands.