Trumpet/CG Conn Silver Trumpet

QUESTION: I have had a CG Conn Ltd. Elkhart Ind. Trumpet in my basement for a while and would like to see how much it is worth. The serial number is 251991 and under the front mouth tube it says 22B. Above the serial number it has a letter B. Above that B is the number 2. On each valve going from left to right is says 3 2 1. It is in fair condition.

ANSWER: Your Conn trumpet is a Model 22B New York Symphony "Early Model" from the very end of 1927. They were made standard with the Conn #1 bore at 0.438". That 2B above the serial number may indicate that your 22B was made in a #2 bore, but you'd have to measure to make sure. If it was, then it was a special order and might add to the value. Then again, it might subtract.

What is it worth is always a nearly impossible question to answer. I can tell you that the 22B is one of the more popular Conn trumpets, so you have that going for you. If it's complete, including the stop rods, case, and mouthpiece, that adds to the value. A 22B with case, mute, and mouthpieces, same date as yours, just sold on ebay for $450. A realistic range, therefore, might be $200 to $300 for "fair" condition. But there's no way to know until you try to sell it.

QUESTION: Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. As for the my 22B made in a #2 bore, what exactly do I measure? And if in fact it is made in a #2 bore, than why would it maybe add or subtract value? I've added pictures for you to look at to determine what condition it is in.

ANSWER: From what little I can see in the pictures, the trumpet is in good condition. How tight the valves are matters a lot too, which you can't see in a picture.

As for measuring the bore, that is usually measured by pulling out the second valve slide (hold the valve down to do that) and measuring the smaller part, which is usually part of the slide. That measurement for a standard 22B is 0.438 inches. If it's significantly larger (there are tolerances) then it might not be the standard #1 bore. It would change the value because it is non-standard and therefore more rare, which might affect how desirable it is to a person who wants to play it.

QUESTION: I would like to determine how tight the valves are so all you would need to see is a close up of those 3 valves correct?

The trumpet needs a little polishing since its been sitting in our basement for quite a while and has caught dust. I've heard that polishing trumpets can damage them, so what would you recommend to at least clean the trumpet a little bit but not damage it.

Also, the second valve slide you're referring to, is that slide the one that is longer and bigger or smaller and shorter.

I see you're not a trumpet player yourself. At this point, what you would want to do is to take it to a professional for an evaluation and if you want to sell it, cleaning with replacement of corks and felts.

If you can tell me where you are, I can see whether you're near one of the world-class trumpet technicians.

Thomas Krueger

I can answer your questions about Buescher trumpets and cornets. I have been playing Buescher for 35 years and collecting for 7.

I first started playing my grandfather's Buescher 400 trumpet in 1975. Since then I have done a lot of research, including original catalogs and advertisements that I own, correspondence with other Buescher owners, and obtaining my own Buescher collection, including six trumpets and three cornets.

I am a technical writer with 15 years experience. I have also been playing trumpet since 1975 and collecting Buescher for the past 7 years.