Trumpet/New York Bach Lyre

Lyre holder?
Lyre holder?  
Hi Mike,
 I'm the proud new owner of a New York Bach Sradivarius built on June 5th 1944. It has what appears to be a factory installed lyre holder on the 3rd valve slide just in front of the slide ring. At first I thought it was some kind of grease fitting because it has a screw off cap. Two things, is this rare and do you know where I might find a lyre? I'm attaching a picture. Thanks

Dave, Your horn looks to be in good shape. I would have a sonic clean done on and have them look at the spot on the tuning slide. The fitting is a lyre holder. Bach had a lyre that was straight and had a screw on the base to hold it on the horn. I haven't seen one in a while but I am sure there are some floating around out there. I would ask if anyone has one on the Trumpet Herald, or Trumpet Master websites.

Mike Pawul

I am familiar with most trumpets, cornets, and flugelhorns. I can answer most questions about playing and musicality. Best of all, if I can't answer it directly I play regularly in several bands and have many "old timers" that are familiar with most things that I am not. I collect, repair, and refinish old and new horns and have sold over 1700 with more than 900 on ebay

I have played since 1965 and studied with many directors and trumpeters. I have been collecting since 2002 and have over 150 horns in my personal collection. I have done repair and refinsh since 2003 and have done work on over 2500 horns.

Kosair Shrine Brass Band and Dance Band, The Notables, The New Tones, Bourbon City Brass Band, River Cities Concert Band, Derby City Brass Band, University of Louisville Community Band, Member of Trumpet Players International Network (TPIN), Bugles Across America (BAA), Member of the National Association of Professional Band Instrument Repair Technicians (NAPBIRT)

I played at Brunswick High School. I played through college and have a BS in Business Administration from Trinity College. Of course, I am still learning from all my friends that play and work on trumpets around the world.

Without being vain, numerous awards and have played in several honor bands.