Trumpet/Cornet Mouthpiece Receiver

Question
I bought a totally beat-up cornet on eBay, and the leadpipe/shank was missing. Since it was a low-budget "goof-off" type of project, I fitted a piece of straight brass tubing into it and soldered it solidly.  I then fitted a clamp around the end of the tubing to help stop the tubing from flaring out and inserted a cornet mouthpiece. The battered old horn plays decently enough for my informal purposes. I'm wondering what effect the absence of a proper receiver would have on the horn's ability to play and be played properly? I'm assuming it isn't best practice.

Answer
Bill, Sorry but I have been so busy I missed your question. The biggest drawback to your "goof-off" receiver will be the gap and fit of the mouthpiece. It will make the slotting less precise and the intonation will be off by a bit. But if you only use it at home it will play ok. It will sound off though and you may find yourself "lipping" all the notes into pitch. The problem with that is it will tire you out a lot quicker.

Trumpet

Mike Pawul