Trumpet/trumpet

Question
I have a Henri Selmer Paris trumpet. It reads Henri Selmet Paris Depose GRANDS PRIX Geneve 1927 Liege 1930 his signature  4 Place Dancourt PARIS  Made in France. My dad recieved it from his older brother when he(dad) was about 12 years old or so. The brother was in the service I beleive and was there serving and brought it hame for my dad. It is in good shape sounds great. I am trying to get it appraised. I showed it to a guy in NH that plays and he told me it was a beautiful piece and could be worth 12 -15 hundred just by playing it he knew it was a nice trumpet. anything you can help me with and how I get it appraised I would appreciate anything.  Thanks Leeann

Answer
How you get it appraised depends on what you want to do with the appraisal, quite honestly. If you want to know what it's worth on the open market, $1200 to $1500 might be correct. If you want to insure it, it would depend on the policy and how they reimburse if the trumpet is lost and stolen.

I believe that Charlie Melk (http://charliesbrassworks.com) does a written appraisal for a fee and some of the other nationally-known technicians will as well. If it's for insurance, I would ask your agent to recommend an appraiser.

(If you do write Charlie, give him a week or so to respond, he's currently not available to answer email.)

Trumpet

Thomas Krueger