Trumpet/cost to repair?

w cornet
w cornet  
it seems on this Wurlitzer cornet the part of the tuning slide is missing. I have no idea on how this could have been broken or the cost of it to be fixed, and i would like to know your opinion on this,
thank you,

The two pieces you're missing are straight tubing, therefore the repair wouldn't be terribly expensive, perhaps a few hundred dollars at most.

But, consider this: you're missing a valve button. You'll have to have one made. That can be quite expensive.

You're also missing the bit, the part that the mouthpiece fits into. These were interchangeable for different keys. You'll have to have one made.  That can be quite expensive.

Your cornet is also almost certainly high pitch, where modern instruments are low pitch. You wouldn't be able to play it with an ensemble without pulling all of the slides, and even then the intonation would be questionable and it just wouldn't play loud enough.

Unless this horn has high sentimental value, you're better off not bothering.

Thomas Krueger

I can answer your questions about Buescher trumpets and cornets. I have been playing Buescher for 35 years and collecting for 7.

I first started playing my grandfather's Buescher 400 trumpet in 1975. Since then I have done a lot of research, including original catalogs and advertisements that I own, correspondence with other Buescher owners, and obtaining my own Buescher collection, including six trumpets and three cornets.

I am a technical writer with 15 years experience. I have also been playing trumpet since 1975 and collecting Buescher for the past 7 years.