Trumpet/Conn Coronet Director K58078

Question
My parents purchased this second hand for me in 1979... I am trying to find out what year this Coronet was made and possibly it's value. I would like to have it restored and have been quoted some prices but not understanding it's value other than sentimental may be an error. It is copper overlaid in a gold finish with silver valve caps, spit valves, and accent glide pieces. The valve cap buttons seem to be mother of pearl. Have the original case too. Thank you for anything you could tell me about this Coronet

Answer
Your cornet was made in 1967 and appears to be a 17A Director or a late 18A Director.

As for value, not terribly high. The Coprion bell increases its value somewhat, and Conn cornets are valued by players higher than some other cornets but I would think a value of $200 would be the absolute maximum.

As for restoration, from a strictly monetary point of view, it's not worth it. Charlie Melk, who does all of my restoration work, currently charges $825 for restoration in lacquer. After you're done, you have a cornet that's worth perhaps $300.

For sentimental reasons, only you know in your heart what it's worth. If you plan on keeping the cornet for some years and, hopefully, begin playing it again, then it's probably worth it. But again, only you know.

The excellent Conn Loyalist site will help you determine whether you have a 17A or 18A Director and has a lot of other good information as well.

http://cderksen.home.xs4all.nl/ConnLooksCornet.html

Trumpet

Thomas Krueger