Trumpet/CONN Director Ttumpet

I was hoping you could please help me learn the value of a trumpet I found. It is a CONN Director and the serial number is L71944 and there is an x after those numbers but it is not engraved and I almost wonder if it is a scratch? I can not seem to find a model type/number. It is in its original case which is green and has purple velvet on the inside. It seems to be in good condition and is playable. Any idea on how to get a model number?

Your Conn Director trumpet was made in 1968. If it has a brass bell, it is probably the 15B Director and if it has a copper bell, the 17B Director. It should be stamped on the bottom of the mouthpiece receiver, but there might only be a B.

That X was applied purposely but so far no one has been able to determine what it means.

The excellent Conn Loyalist site will tell you more than you ever wanted to know about Conn trumpets and cornets.

Thomas Krueger

I can answer your questions about Buescher trumpets and cornets. I have been playing Buescher for 35 years and collecting for 7.

I first started playing my grandfather's Buescher 400 trumpet in 1975. Since then I have done a lot of research, including original catalogs and advertisements that I own, correspondence with other Buescher owners, and obtaining my own Buescher collection, including six trumpets and three cornets.

I am a technical writer with 15 years experience. I have also been playing trumpet since 1975 and collecting Buescher for the past 7 years.