Trumpet/Holton Collegiate Trumpet

Question
There is a Holton Collegiate Trumpet 1938 on ebay. Can you tell me if this vintage Collegiate is or is not a good trumpet? Also, is it worth having it restored?

I bought a Holton Stratodyne in the 50s that I really liked but I gave it to a niece because she was poor and needed a better trumpet. Is the older Collegiate as good as my Stradodyne?

Thanks for any advice.

David

Answer
Since your question was in the pool for a while, that auction is long gone, but I'll answer it anyways.

The Collegiate line from Holton was their lower-priced line and from the name was intended for school use. This doesn't mean it was lower quality than the standard line, just that it has fewer features.

You ask whether a 1938 Collegiate is as good as a Stratodyne, a top of the line professional trumpet. I should think the answer is obvious, but no, it's not, and it wasn't intended to be. I hope your niece appreciated the quality of the trumpet she was given.

Trumpet

Thomas Krueger