Trumpet/Old trumpet

Question
I inherited an old trumpet that says "Cole, Made in Elkhart, Chicago" on the bell. It's serial number is 71925. This instrument came from a friend's father, who lived in Iowa. I figure it was made in Elkhart, Illinois anytime from the 1900's to the 1920's. It's mouthpiece says "Besson &Co." And the number 13.
Can you help me learn about this trumpet?

Answer
There is no Elkhart in Illinois.

Your trumpet was likely made by one of the numerous instrument manufacturers in Elkhart, Indiana for a music store called Cole in Chicago. If you provide a picture on one of the trumpet forums, such as Trumpet Herald or Trumpet Master, you might get an answer of who made your trumpet and approximately when. I could find no reference to Cole. Your date estimate may be correct but impossible to say without seeing the horn.

Besson and Company were a company in England that made musical instruments. The number 13 is the size, an arbitrary number as is most mouthpiece sizes.  

Trumpet

Thomas Krueger