Trumpet/basic information

Question
Hi Gene
I have a fairly old Selmer Paris trumpet, ser. no. 47867. I know it was manufactured in 1946, so it's 2 years older than I am. The trumpet has been up in my attick for the last 30 years, but now at retirement age I want to start playing it again, so I bought it down and am just doing tones to build up my lip, tones and scales. I am considering sending it to a pro shop to have it completely restored to original. The valves are v-shaped, as opposed to straight up and down, and the design itself, while purported to be innovative at the time, is a design that never took off, and only a few of these were manufactured. I dont know how many were made, but I have this one and it is in great shape. Beautiful horn. If I went ahead with a complete restoration, what do you think it would worth? I have no intention of selling it, but If I pay the big bucks for a complete restoration, and the end product is worth half as much as the cost to restore, it probably wouldn't make much sense. Although, at my age, making a whole lot of sense is not always my highest priority.
So, what do you think Gene? And I do appreciate your time.
Thank You, Scott

Answer
Sounds like you have a Selmer Radial.

After you pay $800 or more to restore it, it will be worth perhaps $50 to $100 more.

If you have grandchildren to pass your horn down to, it might be worth it to you, but no one ever gets out of a horn what is paid for a restoration.

I, personally, have paid $1200 to restore some horns I might sell for $300 to $400, but it makes me very happy to play them, and at age 47, I have time to enjoy playing them.

So, based on purely monetary considerations... you probably don't want to. If there are other considerations, then it might be worth it.

Trumpet

Thomas Krueger