Trumpet/buescher trumpets

Question
I have just acquired a buescher trumpet with the serial # 369401. I don't know the model or style. All I know is that it is in good shape. Would this trumpet qualify as an Intermediate trumpet or basic student version. I don't expect this to be an "pro" trumpet but if it was, I would be very much surprised. How many styles did buescher produce and did they produce these all through their production years before they were sold to the Selmer company? How can I tell which model I have? Thank you for fielding this group of questions. Al

Answer
That horn was made probably 1961. The distinction between student, intermediate, and professional is an artificial distinction and is used more for marketing purposes than anything else. I would expect to see "Buescher Aristocrat" engraved on the side of the bell, pretty obviously; if it's not, that trumpet might not have its original bell. Many Buescher horns had the model number stamped on it as well, but I wouldn't necessarily expect one on that horn.

How many styles did Buescher produce? That's way too broad of a question to address here. Before 1939, as many as ten different trumpet models. By 1939, they narrowed that down to three, the Aristocrat, Custom Built, and 400. Post-war adds a Lightweight 400 and the Custom Built is dropped. After 1956, you have Aristocrat and 400, with Super Aristocrat and Super 400 as upgrades.

As mentioned, in that time frame, "Buescher" along with one of the model names above would have been engraved prominently on the bell.

This site has product catalogs that include brass instruments; Take their dates with a grain of salt, one of their "1959" catalogs is earlier, and the other "1959" catalog is later.

http://www.saxophone.org/museum/publications/museumType/1/manufacturer/16

Trumpet

Thomas Krueger