Trumpet/Gold plated trumpet

Question
I have a gold plated trumpet that my mother gave me. I believe she got it from her grandfather or great grandfather. Could you tell me how old it is and what the value of something like this is? It says Pat.June 15.1886 and there are the numbers 24051 on it.

Answer
Impossible to say with the information you've given. I would need to know who made it and possibly the model. There is almost always some engraving on top of the bell with the manufacturer's name, where it was made, and sometimes a model name or number. The 24051 is probably the serial number; sometimes there are listings that match the serial number to date, sometimes not.

If you can give me the additional information, I should be able to tell you something more useful. It does sound like a very old instrument to have that patent date on it.  

Trumpet

Thomas Krueger