Trumpet/Trumpet

Question
I have just bought a Boosey and Hawkes Emperor trumpet serial number 269009. The seller had refurbished it and removed all the lacquer, describing it as "raw brass". This is my first trumpet and I was wondering if you would answer a couple of questions?
How should I treat "raw brass" to keep it looking good?
Can you tell me its year of manufacture?
I paid 135 for it. Is this reasonable, and how much should I insure it for?

Thank you very much for your time and expertise.
Norma.

Answer
Norma, Raw brass allows the horn to resonate freely and improves the sound. Some people are allergic to raw brass and you want to be careful if playing it for extended periods. If you start to develop a rash you will need to have it re-lacquered. The look depends on how you want to keep it. Many people like the look of aged brass, in this case leave it as is and it will develop patina on its own. If you want to keep it shiny then use a good auto paste wax, like Meguires. That will protect it and keep the shine for around 6 months. Then just clean it and apply again.

The price you paid is reasonable as long as it is in good shape. They are good playing horns and your's was made when B&H were still making quality brass. The serial dates it to about 1957.

Trumpet

Mike Pawul