Trumpet/Benge Trumpet

I have an older Benge trumpet that I believe my grandfather bought new in the late 40's or early 50's. serial number is 1636,
and it has the Chicago inscription on the bell. Could you verify the age, if possible. It has a fair amount of tarnish, but the inscription is easy to read, and it's in good shape otherwise. What sort of range value would something like this have?

Thank you very much!

Ken Fisher

That serial number might mean manufacture some time in WWII, according to some lists.

What is it worth? A Chicago Benge is rare and desired and you seem to have the full kit. Depending on what model it is, the condition, and so forth... probably $800 to $1500.

Well worth hanging on to, if you can keep it in the family.

Thomas Krueger

I can answer your questions about Buescher trumpets and cornets. I have been playing Buescher for 35 years and collecting for 7.

I first started playing my grandfather's Buescher 400 trumpet in 1975. Since then I have done a lot of research, including original catalogs and advertisements that I own, correspondence with other Buescher owners, and obtaining my own Buescher collection, including six trumpets and three cornets.

I am a technical writer with 15 years experience. I have also been playing trumpet since 1975 and collecting Buescher for the past 7 years.