Trumpet/Buescher (The "400") True Tone Trunpet

I just bought this Buescher (The "400") True Tone Trumpet at an estate sale, The Serial #is 293172, Patent #is 2132329. was wondering what year it was made and what it might worth, it is in the original case with mouthpiece, sheet music holder, and cleaning rod and mute, all are in excellent shape.
Thanks Mike

Your 400 trumpet was made in 1940. It is possibly one of two models, the more popular Model 225, in medium-large bore, and the very rare Model 224, in medium bore.

These instruments came with a Ray Robinson straight mute, so if that's what you have, it's likely original.

Depending on how "excellent" your excellent is, and the condition of the valves, worth might be anywhere from about $300 to perhaps $500 (or more, on a good day). These are excellent horns that are starting to get more notice, and as a result, value is going up. No dents and intact, original lacquer get top dollar.

The mouthpiece that came with this horn, by the way, is the Buescher Duo-Cup 88-D. They did allow you to trade the 88-D for a different size, though.

I hope you enjoy playing your new horn!

Thomas Krueger

I can answer your questions about Buescher trumpets and cornets. I have been playing Buescher for 35 years and collecting for 7.

I first started playing my grandfather's Buescher 400 trumpet in 1975. Since then I have done a lot of research, including original catalogs and advertisements that I own, correspondence with other Buescher owners, and obtaining my own Buescher collection, including six trumpets and three cornets.

I am a technical writer with 15 years experience. I have also been playing trumpet since 1975 and collecting Buescher for the past 7 years.