Trumpet/E Benge Trumpet

Hi Mr. Ramsay,

I have an E Benge Trumpet that used to belong to my grandfather,
as he played in a band during the 1940's and 50's. It is a Chicago-made Benge,with the notes and the inscription "Resno Tempered Bell, Custom Built by E BENGE Chicago Illinois". serial number 1636 on the second valve. It could use a refinishing, but is generally in good shape. Would the value diminish if I had it refurbished?

Thanks very much!
Ken Fisher

Found your question in the pool... the short answer is, no, you will not diminish the value if you have your instrument restored, as long as it's done by the right person.

Many people send their Benge instruments to Kanstul in California because Kanstul has original tooling and they do a terrific job. Other big-name technicians like Charlie Melk, Steve Winans, Rich Ita, Jim Becker, Josh Landress... can all do an excellent job as well.

Thomas Krueger

I can answer your questions about Buescher trumpets and cornets. I have been playing Buescher for 35 years and collecting for 7.

I first started playing my grandfather's Buescher 400 trumpet in 1975. Since then I have done a lot of research, including original catalogs and advertisements that I own, correspondence with other Buescher owners, and obtaining my own Buescher collection, including six trumpets and three cornets.

I am a technical writer with 15 years experience. I have also been playing trumpet since 1975 and collecting Buescher for the past 7 years.