Trumpet/Fix? Upgrade to good used Trumpet

Years ago,I played a trumpet in band when I attended grades 5-12, and 45 yrs later, I retired from the oil industry (toxicologist) 9 yrs ago.   Six (6) yrs ago I bought a Bb and a C Blessing student trumpet over the internet, and I practice most every day, and I play some for churches and retirees (even over the phone to my 92-yr old mom in Kansas).  I mostly use the C trumpet so I can be accompanied by a piano/organ.  My valves stick more than they seem they should, I clean and oil them probably every 30-60 minutes of playing, but this seems to only help for 20-30 minutes of playing.  I have thought about buying a good used C trumpet, like a Yamaha (6445H), Bach, or Conn; perhaps the sound would even be better (like my C# can seem off and may be due to the spit valves being partially opened as they close poorly sometimes; or perhaps the high notes would be easier to reach with a better horn (high G is as high as I like to reach and still have a quality ......

I'm so glad to hear you stay at it and that you gladly share your talent with others.

I do not see where you tell me the brand of the horns you have now. Buying over the Internet is not necessarily a bad thing as i have gotten and sold horns as well. What where on the Internet and what brand horn these are supposed to be.

As for your general questions on fixing or getting a new one, all I can say is that I can not say. I don't know you budget or anything other than you seem to take playing as your serious fun and I like that. The best you can hope for at that point is evaluate cost versus desire to upgrade or not.

We both know the good "makers" of horns and if you get a strange look on your face when you look at the maker of your horns, then it sounds to me like it's time to come clean and get the best horn you can for you and for the long and enjoyable haul. The cheaper horns are only that way because they are, well, cheaply made. A spit valve should NOT be staying open. I sound should be consistent throughout the range of the horn (unless you have a crazy embouchure or something physical).

I'm happy to entertain this question more thoroughly if I can get a make and model of what you are playing, but until then my advice is...if it feels wrong to have your horn and the troubles it seems to have, then you may need to head to the local music store and try some new and used horns out and see what feels better and more "in tune" (musical pun) with you.  

Gene Ramsay

PLEASE read my instructions to you as a questioner about horns and value, etc. Most of those answers can be found at

I feel confident to answer all questions regarding trumpet and brass performing, practice techniques, and equipment inquiries. We never stop being "students" in music as we strive to grow technically and musically over our lifetime. Music is something that truly individualizes people and I would treat every question based on the individual asking the question.

I have been performing on trumpet for over 30 years. I have taught privately for over 20 years and in the public schools for 5 years. I have taught and performed in drum and bugle corps, bands, ensembles, and solo.

Bugles Across America
International Trumpet Guild
VHHS Alumni Band
University of Montevallo Music Alumni
Madison Scouts Booster Organization

Drum Corps World

Bachelor's Degree from the University of Montevallo in Music Education.
Over 20 years of private instruction (various individuals).
5 years of instructing and performing in drum and bugle corps.

Alabama Assistant State Director for Bugles Across America - 2009-2010
Alabama State Director for Bugles Across America - 2010-Present
University of Montevallo Student MENC President - 1991-1992
Principal Trumpet - University of Montevallo - 1990-1992
Nuncie Leberte Music Scholarship - 1987-1988

Vestavia Hills High School
University of Montevallo
Southwind Drum and Bugle Corps
CorpsVets Drum and Bugle Corps