Trumpet/Imperial London cornet

Question
I have just discovered an imperial London cornet on my grandparents basement. I was wondering if you could tell me about it. The number on it is 12074. What is it worth?

Answer
Imperial was used by Boosey and Hawkes, but the serial number you quote predates the Boosey and Hawkes merger, so it is likely quite old, probably 100 years.

These instruments are highly valued in England, and much less so in the United States. Since I don't know where you are or most importantly, the condition of the cornet, the best I can tell you is "a few hundred dollars". Vlaue will go up, in England, with condition and completeness of the accessories. If this instrument was built in low pitch, or has a set of low pitch slides and tuning bits, it could be worth a bit more as high pitch instruments are almost never used today.

Trumpet

Thomas Krueger