Trumpet/Imperial London cornet

I have just discovered an imperial London cornet on my grandparents basement. I was wondering if you could tell me about it. The number on it is 12074. What is it worth?

Imperial was used by Boosey and Hawkes, but the serial number you quote predates the Boosey and Hawkes merger, so it is likely quite old, probably 100 years.

These instruments are highly valued in England, and much less so in the United States. Since I don't know where you are or most importantly, the condition of the cornet, the best I can tell you is "a few hundred dollars". Vlaue will go up, in England, with condition and completeness of the accessories. If this instrument was built in low pitch, or has a set of low pitch slides and tuning bits, it could be worth a bit more as high pitch instruments are almost never used today.

Thomas Krueger

I can answer your questions about Buescher trumpets and cornets. I have been playing Buescher for 35 years and collecting for 7.

I first started playing my grandfather's Buescher 400 trumpet in 1975. Since then I have done a lot of research, including original catalogs and advertisements that I own, correspondence with other Buescher owners, and obtaining my own Buescher collection, including six trumpets and three cornets.

I am a technical writer with 15 years experience. I have also been playing trumpet since 1975 and collecting Buescher for the past 7 years.