Trumpet/J.W.Pepper trumpet

Question
I have been tearing down this house from the 1880's and found this old trumpet ? It's about two foot long and has J.W.Pepper standard PHILADELPHIA 29955 Stamped on it.It is complete and looks to just need a good cleaning ? I no nothing about it but don't think it should be scraped for I can tell it would have taken a long time to construct it .Can you tell me anything about it and what it may be worth ?

Answer
What you have might be an alto valve trombone if it's two feet long. Does it look like this?

http://www.horn-u-copia.net/Pepper/Pepper-29028.jpg

As a playable instrument, regardless of what it is, it's not worth much. Instruments of that period, and at a guess we're talking, for this one, somewhere around 1895 to 1915, were built to a higher pitch standard than is used today.

As a collectible, it might be worth a couple hundred dollars. If you want to sell it, do not do anything to it at all, leave it as it is, and take a lot of very good pictures, and post it on ebay, and you'll find out what it's worth.

Feel free to send me a followup with a good picture and I can better identify what instrument it is.

Trumpet

Thomas Krueger