Trumpet/1920's?? Holton Trumpet

I recently picked up a Holton trumpet from my local music shop.  It is silver plated with the Frank Holton scribe on the bell.  The serial # is 48953.  It has been overhauled and plays beautifully.  Is this really a 1920's trumpet and is there any way to trace where this may have traveled over the years?  Any idea what the value may be on this vintage horn.  I also have the original case which is not your traditional "square" box, it is actually round on the end where the bell sits.

Brian, The serial dates the horn to 1920 so it is true. Without having written documentation it is almost impossible to trace the history of a specific horn. The case sounds like the original and it was common to have a thin case with a rounded end for the bell to fit into. As far as value, there are many factors that go into it. Without seeing the horn I can't tell a model or the wear to the horn. Also sometimes a restoration actually causes a loss in valve if it was buffed to much. So I can only give you a broad range of $200-500.

Mike Pawul

I am familiar with most trumpets, cornets, and flugelhorns. I can answer most questions about playing and musicality. Best of all, if I can't answer it directly I play regularly in several bands and have many "old timers" that are familiar with most things that I am not. I collect, repair, and refinish old and new horns and have sold over 1700 with more than 900 on ebay

I have played since 1965 and studied with many directors and trumpeters. I have been collecting since 2002 and have over 150 horns in my personal collection. I have done repair and refinsh since 2003 and have done work on over 2500 horns.

Kosair Shrine Brass Band and Dance Band, The Notables, The New Tones, Bourbon City Brass Band, River Cities Concert Band, Derby City Brass Band, University of Louisville Community Band, Member of Trumpet Players International Network (TPIN), Bugles Across America (BAA), Member of the National Association of Professional Band Instrument Repair Technicians (NAPBIRT)

I played at Brunswick High School. I played through college and have a BS in Business Administration from Trinity College. Of course, I am still learning from all my friends that play and work on trumpets around the world.

Without being vain, numerous awards and have played in several honor bands.