Trumpet/King 1501 Trumpet

King 1501 Bell
King 1501 Bell  

King 1501 Serial Number
King 1501 Serial Numbe  
My son will be starting band this fall as a 6th grader. One of the trumpet models the band director recommended was the King 1501. We purchased as a rent-to-own a King 1501 trumpet. Because the cash price (almost $1,200 if paid in full within 3 months) seemed a little high, I started looking into the King 1501 and have found very little information about this particular model. I know the serial numbers for the King instruments keep starting over, so I have no idea when this particular trumpet was made. I am beginning to think that the asking price was way more than this particular model is worth, and that I need to return it before the trial period is up. I have attached a picture of the bell and the serial number.

Any information you could give me would be helpful.
Thank you!

Liesl, The serial dates the horn to about 1983. The 1501 was a good playing intermediate level model and is built well. However, $1200 for a used mid level horn is a bit steep. They aren't easy to find, but the ones I have seen in the last few years have all been around $300-600. I would look at the King 601 since you can find one for quite a bit less than $1200.  

Mike Pawul

I am familiar with most trumpets, cornets, and flugelhorns. I can answer most questions about playing and musicality. Best of all, if I can't answer it directly I play regularly in several bands and have many "old timers" that are familiar with most things that I am not. I collect, repair, and refinish old and new horns and have sold over 1700 with more than 900 on ebay

I have played since 1965 and studied with many directors and trumpeters. I have been collecting since 2002 and have over 150 horns in my personal collection. I have done repair and refinsh since 2003 and have done work on over 2500 horns.

Kosair Shrine Brass Band and Dance Band, The Notables, The New Tones, Bourbon City Brass Band, River Cities Concert Band, Derby City Brass Band, University of Louisville Community Band, Member of Trumpet Players International Network (TPIN), Bugles Across America (BAA), Member of the National Association of Professional Band Instrument Repair Technicians (NAPBIRT)

I played at Brunswick High School. I played through college and have a BS in Business Administration from Trinity College. Of course, I am still learning from all my friends that play and work on trumpets around the world.

Without being vain, numerous awards and have played in several honor bands.