Trumpet/King 1501 Trumpet

I recently purchased a King 1501 silver trumpet, 5-629667, for my grade school daughter. I could not find any information about it, other than the 5 indicates that it may have been made by UMI 1995-2000. It was in very good condition and the price was right. Can you tell me anything about it? How would it compare with other King models or other student trumpets?

Jim, The 1501 was a spiffed up version of the 601. It is more of an intermediate level than a student. She should be able to learn well with it and it is much better than most student horns now. They had a slightly larger bore and were silverplated as a standard choice. They play very well and are solid built. I think they play as well as the current 2055 Silver Flair model.

Mike Pawul

I am familiar with most trumpets, cornets, and flugelhorns. I can answer most questions about playing and musicality. Best of all, if I can't answer it directly I play regularly in several bands and have many "old timers" that are familiar with most things that I am not. I collect, repair, and refinish old and new horns and have sold over 1700 with more than 900 on ebay

I have played since 1965 and studied with many directors and trumpeters. I have been collecting since 2002 and have over 150 horns in my personal collection. I have done repair and refinsh since 2003 and have done work on over 2500 horns.

Kosair Shrine Brass Band and Dance Band, The Notables, The New Tones, Bourbon City Brass Band, River Cities Concert Band, Derby City Brass Band, University of Louisville Community Band, Member of Trumpet Players International Network (TPIN), Bugles Across America (BAA), Member of the National Association of Professional Band Instrument Repair Technicians (NAPBIRT)

I played at Brunswick High School. I played through college and have a BS in Business Administration from Trinity College. Of course, I am still learning from all my friends that play and work on trumpets around the world.

Without being vain, numerous awards and have played in several honor bands.