Trumpet/trumpet high registers

Are some trumpets  designed and made specifically to be played in the higher registers?

Yes and no. I say that because it depends on the person playing the horn.  Do you feel Maynard Ferguson would have had trouble playing in his style on a different horn? The approach to high register playing is indeed an approach.
The horn is the conduit for the vibrations and some horns may "claim" a certain resonance, but until a certain player picks up that horn and feels that difference and it translates out of the end of the horn then I would concentrate more on upper register approach and maybe adjust the mouthpiece.
The mouthpiece would have a more overall effect one way or the other because that's where the vibration and airsteam are directed. If you have a mouthpiece created to give a big warm sound then it may not help in the uppers.

Hope this helps.

Gene Ramsay

PLEASE read my instructions to you as a questioner about horns and value, etc. Most of those answers can be found at

I feel confident to answer all questions regarding trumpet and brass performing, practice techniques, and equipment inquiries. We never stop being "students" in music as we strive to grow technically and musically over our lifetime. Music is something that truly individualizes people and I would treat every question based on the individual asking the question.

I have been performing on trumpet for over 30 years. I have taught privately for over 20 years and in the public schools for 5 years. I have taught and performed in drum and bugle corps, bands, ensembles, and solo.

Bugles Across America
International Trumpet Guild
VHHS Alumni Band
University of Montevallo Music Alumni
Madison Scouts Booster Organization

Drum Corps World

Bachelor's Degree from the University of Montevallo in Music Education.
Over 20 years of private instruction (various individuals).
5 years of instructing and performing in drum and bugle corps.

Alabama Assistant State Director for Bugles Across America - 2009-2010
Alabama State Director for Bugles Across America - 2010-Present
University of Montevallo Student MENC President - 1991-1992
Principal Trumpet - University of Montevallo - 1990-1992
Nuncie Leberte Music Scholarship - 1987-1988

Vestavia Hills High School
University of Montevallo
Southwind Drum and Bugle Corps
CorpsVets Drum and Bugle Corps