Trumpet/Horn

Question
In case
In case  

Out of case
Out of case  
I'll try make this brief ~
We recently bought this horn at an auction, thinking it would be a good one for the little ones at church to start on since we got it for such a reasonable price ~

When we got it home and really looked at it, we discovered that it is quite ornate and beautifully decorated ~

Our problem, we don't know much about brass instruments ~

Could you possibly give us some info?

Attaching pictures, but I can send more if you need them ~

The number on the center valve is 154672 ~

Thanks so much!

Answer
The serial number puts your Conn cornet at 1917. It appears to be an 11A Wonder Vocal cornet, with slides for high pitch and low pitch.

http://cderksen.home.xs4all.nl/Conn11A1919image.html

I can't tell by looking which sets of slides and rotor combination makes it play Bb low pitch, which is what you would need to use it today.

I don't know what "reasonable" means to you, but it's probably worth more than you paid for it, and not at all suitable for "little ones at church".  

Trumpet

Thomas Krueger