Trumpet/WWI Bugle

I received a military bugle from my mother today. She acquired it from my uncle, who received it from my grandfather, who received it from my great grandfather. I am told that it was his military bugle from WWI. It is in outstanding condition, with only one small ding, and highly shiny although covered in some dust.  I have been unable to find a serial number. Is there any other way to find out when it was made, and what a value might be. I retired from the US Army two years ago, and in my opinion this is the greatest family heirloom I could ever receive. I would love to learn the history of it.

TJ, the short answer is that it is almost impossible to trace many of the old bugles. You have a family history that gives you a time frame to look and that is a good start. But most do not have serial numbers to date them. If there is engraving on it you possibly could find the maker and check that way. Also the style of the horn can give you a point to look at. A WWI bugle usually has a wide wrap and is shorter than a newer bugle. Other than that I can't give you much more to go on without seeing it.

Mike Pawul

I am familiar with most trumpets, cornets, and flugelhorns. I can answer most questions about playing and musicality. Best of all, if I can't answer it directly I play regularly in several bands and have many "old timers" that are familiar with most things that I am not. I collect, repair, and refinish old and new horns and have sold over 1700 with more than 900 on ebay

I have played since 1965 and studied with many directors and trumpeters. I have been collecting since 2002 and have over 150 horns in my personal collection. I have done repair and refinsh since 2003 and have done work on over 2500 horns.

Kosair Shrine Brass Band and Dance Band, The Notables, The New Tones, Bourbon City Brass Band, River Cities Concert Band, Derby City Brass Band, University of Louisville Community Band, Member of Trumpet Players International Network (TPIN), Bugles Across America (BAA), Member of the National Association of Professional Band Instrument Repair Technicians (NAPBIRT)

I played at Brunswick High School. I played through college and have a BS in Business Administration from Trinity College. Of course, I am still learning from all my friends that play and work on trumpets around the world.

Without being vain, numerous awards and have played in several honor bands.