Trumpet/Cornet Airway Question

Question
Valve Bypass
Valve Bypass  
Greetings - I just bought a Buescher cornet on eBay. Horn-U-Copia dates it very likely to 1911. It has an unusual airway path. The mouthpipe enters at the third valve, takes a bypass to the first valve, then goes to the second valve. The pipe to the bell exits from the second valve. Was there an advantage to this configuration back in those days? I will attach an image.  Thank you.

Answer
Buescher certainly thought there was an advantage. They did it for "improved air flow"... except there is very little air flow in the cornet, as it is mostly a resonant system. You could take the tubing and tie it in a knot and the cornet would still play well.

So, in reality, it doesn't do much to affect playability. If you look at the 1909 catalog on Horn-u-copia, you will see their reasoning behind this system. While it is true that a constriction in the tubing may affect how the instrument plays, it's because of the location of nodes and anti-nodes in the resonant air column, not any air flow restriction. Renold Schilke would put slightly larger or smaller tubing in certain locations in this instruments for that reason.

Trumpet

Thomas Krueger