Trumpet/HN White Master Trumpet

King Master Trumpet
King Master Trumpet  

King Master Trumpet II
King Master Trumpet II  
Hi, today when I did a search, I saw you had answered a question on the valuation of a King Master Trumpet back in 2008. I too have a King Master Trumpet by the HN White Company. The serial number on it is 139x. It is very straight, no dents. Quite tarnished, the finish looks very good and I am fairly sure it will shine up. It is not the satin silver finish as one might expect but it is silver. The valves all have the matching serial number engraved on them.
IT does not have the original case. But everything is very straight and no signs of any repair work on it. The slides all work and none are stuck. I have included a couple pictures, though they are quite small.
I guess I am looking for a value on the horn. From checking around, it appears to me the age of the horn could be circa 1905.

Bill, The horn is a King but your serial number dates before 1900 and the Master was made from 1916-1924. The designation for Company was added to the bell in 1918 so the bell was produced after that. The lead pipe and tuning slide are not correct for the horn and must have been changed out at a later date. Here is a link to the H N White website page on the Master. As you will see it looks different:

Your horn is most likely made from several King horns and would only be valuable as a player. Collectors want horns that are original, and clearly your horn isn't original. But it should still be worth a few hundred if it plays well.

Mike Pawul

I am familiar with most trumpets, cornets, and flugelhorns. I can answer most questions about playing and musicality. Best of all, if I can't answer it directly I play regularly in several bands and have many "old timers" that are familiar with most things that I am not. I collect, repair, and refinish old and new horns and have sold over 1700 with more than 900 on ebay

I have played since 1965 and studied with many directors and trumpeters. I have been collecting since 2002 and have over 150 horns in my personal collection. I have done repair and refinsh since 2003 and have done work on over 2500 horns.

Kosair Shrine Brass Band and Dance Band, The Notables, The New Tones, Bourbon City Brass Band, River Cities Concert Band, Derby City Brass Band, University of Louisville Community Band, Member of Trumpet Players International Network (TPIN), Bugles Across America (BAA), Member of the National Association of Professional Band Instrument Repair Technicians (NAPBIRT)

I played at Brunswick High School. I played through college and have a BS in Business Administration from Trinity College. Of course, I am still learning from all my friends that play and work on trumpets around the world.

Without being vain, numerous awards and have played in several honor bands.