Trumpet/1930-31 Martin Troubadour

I am interested in the value of my dad's 1930-31 Martin Troubadour trumpet.  It has been recondition once, and has only one dent in the bend of the bell.  I can send pictures if you like.  It is in good shape and playable.  All the slides are free and the valves look good inside - no rust.  Case is in "good" condition.  Thanks.

ANSWER: Ric, there is a difference in value to insure it or to sell it. Please send a few pictures and let me know which you are going to do.

QUESTION: Mike:  Thanks for taking time to write.  I have attached a few pictures.  This was my dad's horn.  It is in great shape - very playable and all slides and valves are clean.  He had it reconditioned and relacquered once during it's life.  I am interested in selling it so I can fund a new horn for myself ;o)  I recently got back into playing after a 30 year layoff!  Anyhow, thanks for taking time to look.  Serial number of instrument is 101092.  Martin Handcraft, Elkhart, IN. Attached are 2 pics, I have several more.  

Ric Brown
Shippensburg, PA.

Ric, The horn looks to be in good shape. The horn is of some value to a collector but it is not of much value as a player. The design is called a peashooter since it is very elongated and has a large open bell flair. That means it doesn't blend very well with current trumpets in sound. The Handcraft was the designation Martin used on their pro lines and you can see the quality in the horn. Since it isn't thought of as a player the value is limited. However, if you can find a collector it could be worth as much as $300.

Mike Pawul

I am familiar with most trumpets, cornets, and flugelhorns. I can answer most questions about playing and musicality. Best of all, if I can't answer it directly I play regularly in several bands and have many "old timers" that are familiar with most things that I am not. I collect, repair, and refinish old and new horns and have sold over 1700 with more than 900 on ebay

I have played since 1965 and studied with many directors and trumpeters. I have been collecting since 2002 and have over 150 horns in my personal collection. I have done repair and refinsh since 2003 and have done work on over 2500 horns.

Kosair Shrine Brass Band and Dance Band, The Notables, The New Tones, Bourbon City Brass Band, River Cities Concert Band, Derby City Brass Band, University of Louisville Community Band, Member of Trumpet Players International Network (TPIN), Bugles Across America (BAA), Member of the National Association of Professional Band Instrument Repair Technicians (NAPBIRT)

I played at Brunswick High School. I played through college and have a BS in Business Administration from Trinity College. Of course, I am still learning from all my friends that play and work on trumpets around the world.

Without being vain, numerous awards and have played in several honor bands.