Trumpet/American Standard Trumpet

A-S trumpet
A-S trumpet  
Hello Thomas,
My son is just beginning High School marching band and wanted a trumpet better than his beginner to do so.  We purchased an older silver trumpet he fell in love with, complete with original case and mouthpiece.  After looking it over and doing some research, I found that it is an American Standard Vocal trumpet with serial number 332.  This would be an instrument made in 1919, the first year of production?  It needs minor repair, but if this is a piece of history of some kind, I do not want to ruin that.  Can you tell me if this is something that my son should take out onto the field at halftime or something that I should offer to a museum?  Any advice or direction would be appreciated.
Thank you,

You've run into the same dilemma that many people do... you have a horn that is quite rare, but no one wants it, therefore it's not that valuable to the market in general. So while your American Standard, made by the HN White Company, is probably a nice horn, and your son is in love with it, putting it in a museum is probably not warranted.

As for marching band, it will depend on what the marching band does. I marched with my regular trumpet, and that was probably a mistake because I lost one of the bottom valve caps, which took me many years to replace with the exact same. Therefore, if he likes it as much as you say, I would suggest getting a different horn for marching band. If he still has his beginner horn, that would be a good choice. It's very hard to hear nuances of tone from a high school marching band, so it's likely just fine for that purpose.

Thomas Krueger

I can answer your questions about Buescher trumpets and cornets. I have been playing Buescher for 35 years and collecting for 7.

I first started playing my grandfather's Buescher 400 trumpet in 1975. Since then I have done a lot of research, including original catalogs and advertisements that I own, correspondence with other Buescher owners, and obtaining my own Buescher collection, including six trumpets and three cornets.

I am a technical writer with 15 years experience. I have also been playing trumpet since 1975 and collecting Buescher for the past 7 years.