Trumpet/refinishing a brass cornet

Recently I came across a cornet on the auction block at eBay and saw that it had a custom satin refinishing that made an impression on me.  It was a Holton 25, an excellent pro model from the late 40's in great shape EXCEPTING it was missing its valves.  Fortunately I have a number of Holton '20' series beaters in my collection and in fact, a 25.  My question, that frankly only you can answer is; What type of process and or materials are used to produce the satin finish.  The owner didn't know but did say that it was done by Pawul Trumpet Works in Louisville.  Can you help me here?

Joe, The company that did the horn is mine. I am not sure why the horn had no valves because I remember that horn and it was very nice playing after I finished it. The satin finish is done by stripping the old lacquer and then "blasting" the horn with glass beads. You need a compressor and a blast cabinet to do it. The cost I spent to buy the cabinet and materials were over $3000. So unless you are doing a lot of horns it is pretty cost prohibitive. I also put a coat of Nikolas clear lacquer over the finish to protect it. Otherwise it wears back to smooth after a few years.

Mike Pawul

I am familiar with most trumpets, cornets, and flugelhorns. I can answer most questions about playing and musicality. Best of all, if I can't answer it directly I play regularly in several bands and have many "old timers" that are familiar with most things that I am not. I collect, repair, and refinish old and new horns and have sold over 1700 with more than 900 on ebay

I have played since 1965 and studied with many directors and trumpeters. I have been collecting since 2002 and have over 150 horns in my personal collection. I have done repair and refinsh since 2003 and have done work on over 2500 horns.

Kosair Shrine Brass Band and Dance Band, The Notables, The New Tones, Bourbon City Brass Band, River Cities Concert Band, Derby City Brass Band, University of Louisville Community Band, Member of Trumpet Players International Network (TPIN), Bugles Across America (BAA), Member of the National Association of Professional Band Instrument Repair Technicians (NAPBIRT)

I played at Brunswick High School. I played through college and have a BS in Business Administration from Trinity College. Of course, I am still learning from all my friends that play and work on trumpets around the world.

Without being vain, numerous awards and have played in several honor bands.