Trumpet/Student Trumpet

My son (9) wants to start playing the trumpet.  I want to purchase a used one or lower priced new ($150-$200) for now to make sure band is for him before investing in a full price horn.

However, I have no idea what brand I should be looking at.  I've found a Healy student trumpet new for $159 but I've also seen lots of trumpets listed on Amazon and some of the reviews for these different brand horns makes me unsure because I don't want to purchase a junk item.  I know Yamaha is a big name, but I've also found a le'var brand too but don't know anything about it.

What can you recommend brand wise, or is there anything special I should be looking for?

Thank you for your time,

Welcome to the beginning trumpet family!

Safe brands are Yamaha, Bach, Conn, Jupiter, and King.

Watch for horns shipping to you from Asia. There are plenty of poorly made horns that can't even be fixed if they were to need repair.

Lastly, if a musician can hear him on it and help him get a feel for the horns in question, that's huge.  

Gene Ramsay

PLEASE read my instructions to you as a questioner about horns and value, etc. Most of those answers can be found at

I feel confident to answer all questions regarding trumpet and brass performing, practice techniques, and equipment inquiries. We never stop being "students" in music as we strive to grow technically and musically over our lifetime. Music is something that truly individualizes people and I would treat every question based on the individual asking the question.

I have been performing on trumpet for over 30 years. I have taught privately for over 20 years and in the public schools for 5 years. I have taught and performed in drum and bugle corps, bands, ensembles, and solo.

Bugles Across America
International Trumpet Guild
VHHS Alumni Band
University of Montevallo Music Alumni
Madison Scouts Booster Organization

Drum Corps World

Bachelor's Degree from the University of Montevallo in Music Education.
Over 20 years of private instruction (various individuals).
5 years of instructing and performing in drum and bugle corps.

Alabama Assistant State Director for Bugles Across America - 2009-2010
Alabama State Director for Bugles Across America - 2010-Present
University of Montevallo Student MENC President - 1991-1992
Principal Trumpet - University of Montevallo - 1990-1992
Nuncie Leberte Music Scholarship - 1987-1988

Vestavia Hills High School
University of Montevallo
Southwind Drum and Bugle Corps
CorpsVets Drum and Bugle Corps