Trumpet/Student Trumpet

Question
My son (9) wants to start playing the trumpet.  I want to purchase a used one or lower priced new ($150-$200) for now to make sure band is for him before investing in a full price horn.

However, I have no idea what brand I should be looking at.  I've found a Healy student trumpet new for $159 but I've also seen lots of trumpets listed on Amazon and some of the reviews for these different brand horns makes me unsure because I don't want to purchase a junk item.  I know Yamaha is a big name, but I've also found a le'var brand too but don't know anything about it.

What can you recommend brand wise, or is there anything special I should be looking for?

Thank you for your time,
Michele

Answer
Welcome to the beginning trumpet family!

Safe brands are Yamaha, Bach, Conn, Jupiter, and King.

Watch for horns shipping to you from Asia. There are plenty of poorly made horns that can't even be fixed if they were to need repair.

Lastly, if a musician can hear him on it and help him get a feel for the horns in question, that's huge.  

Trumpet

Gene Ramsay