Trumpet/Trumpet vs. cornet

I recently started playing a 1923 Couesnon coret. I also play an old Couesnon trumpet and n old Ludwig bugle.
The cornet seems quite diffeent from the trumpet in that there is no "muddiness" between notes.  It is crisp and clean when I switch from one valve to another.
Is this a characteristic of all cornets vs. trumpets? Or is it just that the trumpet valves are not adjusted perfectly?
Also: Do you think having the cornet vales replated would be worthwhile?  They are very worn, but work just fine.
Thank you very much...It is wonderful to ask someone like you such technical questions.

Cornets tend to be a little rocher in tonality. The horn and the maker as well as the care it has gotten is what the goodness is. You got a good horn.
As for replating anything on a horn I am against it. The horn was made in as natural of a state as the time and to mess with that integrity unless there is a mechanical issue with the valves would jeopardize the horn in my opinion.

Good luck and happy playing.

Gene Ramsay

PLEASE read my instructions to you as a questioner about horns and value, etc. Most of those answers can be found at

I feel confident to answer all questions regarding trumpet and brass performing, practice techniques, and equipment inquiries. We never stop being "students" in music as we strive to grow technically and musically over our lifetime. Music is something that truly individualizes people and I would treat every question based on the individual asking the question.

I have been performing on trumpet for over 30 years. I have taught privately for over 20 years and in the public schools for 5 years. I have taught and performed in drum and bugle corps, bands, ensembles, and solo.

Bugles Across America
International Trumpet Guild
VHHS Alumni Band
University of Montevallo Music Alumni
Madison Scouts Booster Organization

Drum Corps World

Bachelor's Degree from the University of Montevallo in Music Education.
Over 20 years of private instruction (various individuals).
5 years of instructing and performing in drum and bugle corps.

Alabama Assistant State Director for Bugles Across America - 2009-2010
Alabama State Director for Bugles Across America - 2010-Present
University of Montevallo Student MENC President - 1991-1992
Principal Trumpet - University of Montevallo - 1990-1992
Nuncie Leberte Music Scholarship - 1987-1988

Vestavia Hills High School
University of Montevallo
Southwind Drum and Bugle Corps
CorpsVets Drum and Bugle Corps