Trumpet/artcraft trumpet

Dear Thomas, I just bought an Artcraft trumpet on Ebay.  It was advertised as a Harry Pedler professional. I paid $74.00 for it and felt I had found a bargain and may still have. But, because I enjoy researching horns, I found a replica of this horn on ebay.  It was made by Lockie, an olds copy. I already have an "Art" by Pedler. The Artcraft is not that horn, and I do not find where Artcraft is used by Pedler anywhere. Would there have been a connection between Lockie and Pedler? Thanks.  Walt

I have looked at both your Artcraft trumpet and the Locke trumpet and they do appear to be the same. I am not willing to believe that Pedler would sell a professional quality horn without their name on it. I am, however, willing to believe that both the Artcraft and Locke trumpets are stencil horns.

Horn-U-Copia lists a Pedler horn using the name Artcraft but their photographs are too small to be useful. It's not unusual, though, to have a stencil horn use a name that was used by another company.

I'm confident in saying that you have a stencil horn made after WWII. It might have been made by Pedler or it might have been made by nearly anyone else, though Blessing would be my guess.

Unless some documentation is found, this is probably the best we can do.

Thomas Krueger

I can answer your questions about Buescher trumpets and cornets. I have been playing Buescher for 35 years and collecting for 7.

I first started playing my grandfather's Buescher 400 trumpet in 1975. Since then I have done a lot of research, including original catalogs and advertisements that I own, correspondence with other Buescher owners, and obtaining my own Buescher collection, including six trumpets and three cornets.

I am a technical writer with 15 years experience. I have also been playing trumpet since 1975 and collecting Buescher for the past 7 years.