Trumpet/Vintage Trumpets/Cornets

I am currently watching multiple trumpets and one cornet on Ebay: a Buescher Aristocrat Trumpet from the early 70s, a King Cleveland 602 Cornet from 1975, a Bach-Selmer Signet Trumpet from the 1980s, and any number of Olds Ambassadors (trumpets and cornets). Which of these is the best choice, or are there others I'm ignoring that are the best to go with? Keep in mind that my trumpet/cornet playing skills are hardly developed, and I'm not looking for top-tier at this time, only something worthwhile. Thank you for your response.

Any of those horns, if they are in good condition, will work for you. Another model to look at is the Holton Collegiate, probably no later than the 70s.

Cornets are cheap, though, so if you see one in stellar condition, jump on it.

Condition is the key. Don't accept something ratty just because it's cheap. If you can afford to get into the $300 range, then you have a lot more choices.

Thomas Krueger

I can answer your questions about Buescher trumpets and cornets. I have been playing Buescher for 35 years and collecting for 7.

I first started playing my grandfather's Buescher 400 trumpet in 1975. Since then I have done a lot of research, including original catalogs and advertisements that I own, correspondence with other Buescher owners, and obtaining my own Buescher collection, including six trumpets and three cornets.

I am a technical writer with 15 years experience. I have also been playing trumpet since 1975 and collecting Buescher for the past 7 years.