Trumpet/Holton Model 29 Cornet with "U.S." engraving

Question
I recently purchased this cornet with the serial number 154984.  This came with what appears to be the original case as well printed with "U.S.".  Based on the serial number, can you be year specific?  Is there any way of tracking which branch of the military may have had possession of this cornet?  Considering having this re-plated, pros and cons to consider?  Any help greatly appreciated.

Answer
Joe, In the serial number chart the horn dates to 1945. The US designation was used on all military horns and the only way to know where it was used would be to contact the Quartermaster and see if the records still exist.

To have it re-plated it needs to be in decent shape to start. Severe pits or deep scratches will still show unless the shop buffs the heck out of it. Buffing thins the tubing and causes problems with the playing and structure of the cornet. If it is in decent shape and they take care in buffing then it will turn out to look almost new.

Trumpet

Mike Pawul