Trumpet/King super-20 trumpet

I just bought a trumpet at a flea market over the weekend, it was sort of an impulse buy. Anyway I was wondering what you can tell me about it. It is pretty retro-looking and stylish, with a two-tone silver and brass finish. On the bell is elaborately-etched engraving "King super-20 symphony silver-sonic, made by the H.N. White Ld. Cleveland Ohio." The serial number is 361622, and below is written DB. The trumpet looks to be in very good to excellent condition and plays well. I was just wondering if it is a good and reputeable horn, and its age.

Also I intend to be a come-back player, and I was wondering if this horn is suited to classical/symphony music?

Thanks in advance.

You bought one of the best horns made by King. The Super 20 Silver sonic is a Sterling silver bell and a dual bore tuning slide. They play extremely well and are a very collectible trumpet. Here is a link to the description on the HN White website:

Your horn was made in 1959 and is considered a pro model designed for Symphony and Big band playing. You are very lucky to have found such a great horn at a flea market! It would be a great horn for a comeback player.

Mike Pawul

I am familiar with most trumpets, cornets, and flugelhorns. I can answer most questions about playing and musicality. Best of all, if I can't answer it directly I play regularly in several bands and have many "old timers" that are familiar with most things that I am not. I collect, repair, and refinish old and new horns and have sold over 1700 with more than 900 on ebay

I have played since 1965 and studied with many directors and trumpeters. I have been collecting since 2002 and have over 150 horns in my personal collection. I have done repair and refinsh since 2003 and have done work on over 2500 horns.

Kosair Shrine Brass Band and Dance Band, The Notables, The New Tones, Bourbon City Brass Band, River Cities Concert Band, Derby City Brass Band, University of Louisville Community Band, Member of Trumpet Players International Network (TPIN), Bugles Across America (BAA), Member of the National Association of Professional Band Instrument Repair Technicians (NAPBIRT)

I played at Brunswick High School. I played through college and have a BS in Business Administration from Trinity College. Of course, I am still learning from all my friends that play and work on trumpets around the world.

Without being vain, numerous awards and have played in several honor bands.